FAMILY and CULTURE
“Understanding Cultural Diversity”
* What is culture?
* What is the differences between Collectivistic and Individualistic cultures?
* What is the importance of understanding cultural diversity?
* What qualities make cultures unique?
* How does culture shape the way we see the world, others, and ourselves?
* How does culture influence family life?
* What causes cultures to change over time?
* What are cultural symbols?
* Why is it important to understand culture?
* How do geography influence the types of foods people in different cultures eat?
* How do your beliefs, values, and cultural background influence the way you behave?
* How are cultures taught in society?
* How can you avoid cultural stereotyping?
* How can you learn to see things from another culture’s point of view? Why is it important?
Sasse, C.R. (2000). Families Today. New York, NY: Glenco, McGraw-Hill.
Building Bridges: A Peace Corps Classroom Guide to Cross-Cultural Understanding